Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The land of Tuk tuks, Moto Dhup and Pagodas- Cambodia


It was a nice sunny morning in Phom Penh. I took a cab for Hotel Cambodiana from outside the airport for 9 dollars. The Cab driver could understand my English much better than I could understand his Khmer. Still he was trying his best to show me all the places with names, so difficult to pronounce. Within 30 minutes I was inside the Hotel where our workshop was scheduled to be held. There was something about the place that made me feel good- feel so close to nature.

My first encounter with Moto Dhups
After having relaxed in Hotel for some time I thought of walking to nearby market and find a way to call home and inform about my well being. I had not even reached the gate of Hotel when I saw people with mopeds of very old model, waving at me. I had heard about the hiring of motor bikes and was wondering what if some beautiful lady from Cambodia comes to Delhi and hires a motor bike (I fail to fathom what would be the consequences). It did not take me long to understand that these were the drivers of Moto Dhups. There were many Three wheelers also (tuk tuk) but I preferred Motto Dhup. I had done a bit of research before going to Cambodia, so I knew the names of nearby market places. I asked one of the Moto Dhup guys for going upto Central market. He said 1 dollar but gave up after my persistent bargaining. We finally settled for 2000 Riel, which is half dollar.
A trip through the age of homo erectus
The market had a lot of stuff that I wanted to buy. We used more of sign language and key words than any sentences or grammar to communicate. And when all the languages and gestures failed, there was something that worked- a spontaneous smile from both the sides on the inability to communicate. The smile motivated both the parties to try again, and most of the times we could finally convey the messages. I started thinking of our ancestors millions of years ago, when there was no language, no words and still things worked.

My visit was very short but I liked the place and the warm hearted people.

No comments: